Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Copernic Desktop 3 sucks!!


I am an avid fan of Copernic Desktop search. I use version 2 all the time and it works great!!

But recently I had the misfortune of upgrading to version 3. I quickly found out that it was a waste, for the following reasons:
  1. Features have been removed from the free offering from version 2 to 3, such as
    a)  Find as you type (you now have to press Enter before the search gets executed)
    b)  Indexing network drives --> Now only local drives are indexed by the free version

  2. The software crashes frequently. Once every 20 mins or so.
I know that the free version is well, free. And so the company has the right to give anything they want in it. But taking away features from a previous free version leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth. I guess they don't know the meaning of the word "upgrade".

And crashing so often - well that is just plain sad.


I have gone back to version 2. It works great!! I luckily did not clear out my index when uninstalling ver 3 before installing ver 2, so it works just as before.

If other search tools improve, I will switch. But I am definitely not "upgrading" to any new version of Copernic Desktop search.


Link: http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/index.html

No comments: